16th Century FORUM

The Italian Wars 1494-1559

El Gringo

I seem to be full of good ideas tonight. I would suggest that Osprey makes an 'Essential History' of the so-called Italian Wars in the 16th century. This was the conflict that saw Spain emerge as the premier European power, and as far as I can see, Osprey hasn't looked into it very much (except from the Battle of Pavia). Yes, and two more suggestions while I'm at it...'Essential History': the War of the Austrian Sucession 1740-48 and the Great Nordic War 1700-21 (I think these topics have been up before).

Report offensive material

Total replies: 8
Close

To proceed please login below or register.

Email:
Password:
RESPONSES
cold0
I agree; all the period of the Italian Wars (or for the Valois-Hasburg, that's the more appropiate name for the second part) is badly neglected, while the readers-customers have showed their support in all the survey of the last years (see the book vote for the French Gendarme or the Spanish Tercios).
Posted: 08-Jul-2010 09:21

Württemberger
there are two more campaign titles, Fornovo and Flodden Field. but yeah, there's always room for more.
Posted: 08-Jul-2010 19:06

cold0
Well, there are other titles undoubtedly, and the armies of England, Scotland and Irish are somewhat covered in various line (Tudor Knight, Henry VIII’s Armies, Galloglasses , Scottish Renaissance Armies); the problem is that most of the titles are centered around the “Anglo-Saxon” world, and there isn’t anything about the French, Imperial, Spanish and Italian Armies, with an exception of the Landsknechts. Even if we see the release for the next year (Amazon), the only thing of interest is another book about the Border Reivers again. Is it not possible to treat something else? By the way, in the last years, different English authors (or English speaking) have published some very interesting books about the warfare in the 16th century. Just to remember some names and books that I have read David Potter (Renaissance France at War: Armies, Culture and Society, c.1480-1560, War and Government in the French Provinces), James B. Wood (The King's Army: Warfare, Soldiers and Society during the Wars of Religion in France, 1562-76), James Raymond (Henry VIII’s Military Revolution), Ian Heath (The Armies of England, Scotland, Ireland, the United Provinces and the Spanish Netherlands 1487-1609), Gervase Phillips (The Anglo-Scots Wars, 1513-1550) and Yuval Noah Hariri have published all very excellent books whose covered even the “other” armies. It could very interesting to see if these and other authors out the “Osprey circle” have something to publish in “Osprey” format.
Posted: 09-Jul-2010 10:04

El Gringo
An 'Essential History' on these wars would be the perfect starting point for a person who doesn't know too much about this period. :o)
Posted: 09-Jul-2010 10:21

Illuminato
I hope to see those three MAA in the future:

Armies of Maxiliam I
Italian Renaissance Armies
Spanish Armies of the Italian Wars
Posted: 22-Jul-2010 12:21

Sheldon
The Italian Wars are currently a glaring omission in Osprey's titles. You have books for Fornovo and Pavia but they're just two battles that need to be seen in a much wider and longer context. An 'essential histories' publication would seem right on the mark.
Posted: 19-Jul-2011 17:52

Ardashir51
I would love to see a book covering the Italian Wars myself, as well as hopefully a Warriors book on the French gendarmes.
Posted: 11-Oct-2012 17:15

mrhistory
all 3 would be great.
Posted: 09-Nov-2012 08:37

Total replies: 8